January 23, 2010

pjr 1 & 2.


WARNING: LONG POST!

So I love Project Runway. I'm not neccessarily the most fashionable person, but this show is just so awesome. I love watching it with my friend Julia. We have such different views on fashion. She views this show as art and I view it more as what would people really wear. It's so fun to see what we end up liking and not liking.

I'm so glad they brought the show back to New York! Its the heart of the fashion industry in the US and its where the show belongs.

*Geek Alert* I love the new HP Think Pads. They are so cool! I'm not sure how easily it would be to draw on them and I can't wait to see what designers end up using them.


AMY
Her "pre show" designs were great. Very architectural.
I really liked the structure of her 1st design. But I felt the fabrics looked really cheap.
But OMG her 2nd look was amazing. The dye treatment she used was spectacular. That look was one potato sack I wouldn't mind wearing!
I think Amy will come up with some really young and fresh designs this season. She'll probably go really far.






ANNA

I felt like her "pre show" designs were very Anthropolgie. Her designs really screamed my friend Julia.
I really liked the design of her 1st look. The fabric was a little much, but the structure itself is totally something I would wear.
You could tell her 2nd look was hers before they even put her name up. The potato stencil ended up making a fabulous print.
I really think she's going to be able to keep her design astetic thru each challenge. I don't know how far she'll go, but I really like her as a person and a designer.

ANTHONY
His first quote made me love him. "Black. Gay. From the ghetto." His  dream is to design for Miss USA or MISS Universe, so his"pre show" designs were a little over the top. He reminds me of Kayne from season 3, but let's hope a little less trashy tacky.
I think he missed the mark on his 1st design. The fabric was atrocious and the volume of fabric on the side made his model look lopsided.
On the other hand his 2nd look was fabulous! You would have never guessed it was a potato sack. It was constructed and designed beautifully!


BEN

His "pre show" designs were very hard and edgy. He even said himself his designs weren't girly.
I think Ben might be a little confused as to who he really is. He gave off a hard guy/gay vibe. Can't wait to see more of his interviews.
I thought his 1st design was hard and spacey. But then his 2nd look was soft and girly. If he keeps up the astetic from the 2nd look, I think he could go a good ways.

 CHRISTIANE
Her "pre show" designs had some great structure to them. I really thought she would make it a good ways. The concept of her 1st look was good. But print fabric she used was so off point. Had she used all one fabric and left out the extra fabric on the skirt part she would have made it thru! I think designers have to learn to pick either a contrast in fabrics or all one fabric with interesting structure. He dress was a mess and it just goes to show that one mistake will take you out of the game!
EMILIO
Emilio is the elder of the group. It'll be really great to see if his experience pushes him past everyone else. His "pre show" designs were all costumes, so it's hard to tell what his astetic is. I hope that he can turn his costume experience into a runway/ready-to-wear style. The contrustion of his 1st look was flawless. I can't believe Tim didn't think he'd finish! I don't know if his dress was my favorite, but it was probably the best dress overall.  Loved his 2nd look. Throw a jacket on it and send me to work! Perfect for day-to-night!
JANEANE

I love that she tried to go thru the turnstyle wrong! I really liked her "pre show" designs. They were definitely something I would wear. My only worry is that she might be a little too emotional...like maybe on the verge of annoying.
I thought her 1st look screamed to a 50 year old woman!
But her 2nd look was BY FAR my favorite of the potato sack challenge! I just couldn't believe she made a potato sack look so elegant and SOO much like a real dress!

JAY


Jay's "pre show" designs were very runway and not so much ready-to-wear. I think his construction and architecture will get him a long way thru the show.
I'm not really a fan of dresses that add volume to the hip area, but the texture of the fabrics meshed really well and I would totally buy a simplified version of this dress!
I'm so glad he won the potato sack challenge. His design was very innovative and would make a FABULOUS party dress!



JESSE

I felt like Jesse's "pre show" designs looked really childish.
I wasn't a big fan of the fabric he used in his 1st look, but once his model took off her jacket, the outfit became fabulous!! It was sexy yet classic. Loved it!
His 2nd design looked like what the ring leader of a circus should wear. I'm just not so sure how "cool" it is to show your belly button anymore.



JESUS

Could he be the next christian serriano?  His  youth and ps designs really showed resemblences of christian.  but i think he may be lacking the confidence and flamboyancy.
Brown crocidile leather? really? wow. The 1st look was a little much, but was constructed hella good! I can't imagine how hard it was to work with that fabric.
What Jesus did with the ribbon in the 2nd challenge was amazing, but it was just a miss all over.

JONATHAN

I think he had a vision with his "pre show" designs, but I felt like they were messy.
His 1st design was hard yet soft at the same time. I really liked its edginess.
Jonathan did pretty well with the potato sack challenge. I felt like it was something Seth Aaron would do. Almost had a dominatrix feel.



MAYA

Her "pre show" designs were very avanguard. I hope they have a challenge like that this season, cause she'll rock it.
Her style really came thru on the 1st challenge. I felt like the shoulder ruffles were a little over powering, but knock 'em down a notch and you have one classy dress!
For using so many different  fabrics on the 2nd challenge, her dress really turned out great. I think it'd make such a cute summer dress.
MILA

Her "pre show" designs were so well constructed. If she can keep that up with the time constraints she'll do awesome.
I thought her first look was confusing. The top looked like it was made for a 40 year old, and the mini skirt looked like it was made for a 20 something.
And besides causing the editors to blur out her modles 'goodies', the dress was a hit! Definitely a fabulous party dress! Nina said it perfectly, "You went from farm to the future and it was fantastic!"
PAMELA

I feel as though Pamela's "pre show" looks were very outdated and all over the place. Some were 70's inspired, some where 90's inspired, and some were just uninspired. I think her taste will definitely come in to question this season.
Her 1st look was so all over the place I can't even comment on it.
And her 2nd look. OMG. It looked like western wear from 1990. But I will give her props on the dye job, that was quite fabulous.
All I have to say is Thank Gaw she got the boot. Her taste was just not even close to par.
PING

Where do you even begin with her? She is a different bread.
Her "pre show" designs are just awful. It'll be interesting to see how long she lasts.
Her 1st design looked like it took no effort in the construction area at all! I feel like the only reason she stayed thru the first episode is becuase of the guest judge, Nicole Richie. Nicole definitely has that hobo sense of style and Ping's outfit screamed hobo, homeless woman.
SETH AARON

Seth Aaron somewhat reminds me of Jeffrey from season 3. His "pre show" designs weren't particularly my style, but they were well constructed. I think my friend Meggi would just LOVE his clothes.
In the first two challenges he definitely took the design and made it his own. The 1st look just needed to be edited a little. The suspender looking straps needed to go and the bright red zipper was a little much. But I think as the season goes on his taste will mature a little and he'll do well.
His 2nd look really had potential once the hood was taken down!


A FEW  AFTER THOUGHTS:
How do you just not love Tim Gunn?! He totally makes the show. His facial expessions are priceless! He's so articulate in the way he speaks and he really takes the time to think about what he wants to say. It's never anything but classy.

and I am LOVING Heidi's hair this season! That is exactly what I want my hair to look like. I'll need to put a call in to Brooke...

I hope this season brings better  challenges than last season. I felt like the producers really slacked in that area.

It seems as though this seasons designers have a lot more ready-to-wear experience and I LOVE the idea of that

DRUM ROLL PLEASE

My pick for the season is:

JAY







No comments: