This past weekend I threw a party for my parents to celebrate their 30 years of marriage. They are a great example of commitment, obviously they’ve had their hard times but have gotten through them and have had some amazing times also.
I absolutely LOVE planning things. Parties, weddings, my weekly agenda…anything and everything! This was no different!
I had been planning this party for the past 4 months and it was a stressful process {Everything for me is stressful when it involves my parents…we’re just completely different people}. Especially Saturday. Everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. Here’s the run down.
- 9:30am – Left my house 30 minutes late to pick up the cake and cupcakes. The cake was not done correctly, but there wasn’t time to fix it so I just had to take a deep breath and go with the flow. It wasn’t the end of the world. (Don’t use
- 10:15am – This is the time I was supposed to be at the hair salon to have my bangs trimmed
- 10:30am – The time I actually arrived at the hair salon
- 10:58am – Realized I forgot the cupcake stands at home in Norman.
- 11:00am – Arrive at my parents; request a credit card to go to Hobby Lobby for supplies
- 11:40am – Return home only to realize I didn’t get enough black scrapbook paper
- 11:55am – Called brother to pick up scrapbook paper {this also required another 15 min conversation when he arrived at the store trying to explain where scrapbook paper was and that I just wanted PLAIN BLACK PAPER…..oh boys}
- 12:15pm – Mom and Dad decide to turn on the speaker system they just had installed last week while they’re working in the yard. Speakers decide to short out and OF COURSE the Geek Squad wouldn’t come fix it before the party.
- 1:30pm – Finally finish the cupcakes stands and was asked to make up the Pico de Gallo I had promised. {Finely Chopping a large onion, 10 tomatoes, 5 jalapenos, a bundle of cilantro, and squeezing a lime took FOREVER!}
- 1:55pm – Realize I forgot my dress hanging on the back of my front door. {Not so sure my Nike shorts and Tshirt are going to fit in at the party}
- 2:15pm – Start rolling out the tables and placing them in the yard. Make my cousin unfold 80 chairs and put on table clothes.
- 2:45pm – Beg my brother to drive to Norman to get my dress. {he happily obliged because it got him out of the tension filled house} He also picked up my best friend D to come to the party.
- 3:00pm – Start setting up all other aspects of the party, last minute moves of outdoor furniture, etc.
- 4:45pm – Showered
- 4:55pm – Brother arrives home with Ipod player, dress, and D
- 5:00pm – Caterer showed up
- 6:05pm – Finally dressed and ready. Started putting drinks on ice.
- 6:40pm – GIANT STORM CLOUDS ROLL IN. Temperature drops 10 degrees, check the radar and see an enormous line of storms. Major panic attack started now. {The whole party was outside} Prayed for no rain as we lit all of the candles and set out all of the drinks.
- 7:00pm – We got the party Started!
The weather turned out great! The rain clouds never dropped an ounce of rain and brought the temperature down to the most comfortable degree for an outside party.
The turn out was fabulous! Way more people than my parents even expected!
Pictures of the night
The set up out back
The Cake
There was dancing, kickboxing lessons, and reminiscing.
The lady in the green dress was my 1st grade teacher. We have been great family friends since then, for 20 years! I still to this day can’t call her anything but Ms. Carr {her name now is Mrs. Wilson}.
This dog showed up when the party started and was still there the next day. We have NO idea who it belongs to, but he decided to catch a little dinner {a possum} and leave it on the front porch during the party. As someone went to scoop it up with a shovel, {because we thought it was dead} it jumped up and ran away as fast as possible. This equaled LOUD shrills throughout the party.
There was also a slideshow that I made playing on the TV in the house as people walked in. If I can ever get it off my mom’s computer I’ll have to post it. It’s pretty hilarious considering they got married in 1980 and most of the pictures are from me “awkward years” {1996-2002}.
I have to say I’ve never seen my parents have such a great time {like ever}. They were so appreciated and so happy with all the people that came out to celebrate with them. My dad has called me every day since to thank me.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MOM AND DAD!
No comments:
Post a Comment