July 23, 2010

how to.

I decided to be the great daughter that I am and help my mom out a little for the weekend. {she’s having quite a few house guests this weekend because of their 30th anniversary party}

She wanted to feed all of the Saturday helpers with some chips and dips throughout the day so I offered to make some Pico de Gallo…since I’m a pro at it now {ha}.

When D and I made it on Sunday, I cut up the onion. It was quite the mess. I am NOT good with a knife and onions are just always a disaster.

This morning I decided to look up how to cut an onion on Rachel Ray’s “How To” part of her magazine website.

This wonderful lady in red has taught me everything I need to know. I want to share it with you because SURELY I am not the only one who can’t figure out an easy way to cut and onion!

1. Trim the stem end, leaving the root end intact.

Step-by-Step-Onion_01

2. Stand the onion upright and cut in half, through the center of the root.

Step-by-Step-Onion_02

3. Peel the papery skin and top layer off each half of the onion.

Step-by-Step-Onion_03

4. Place the onion flat and, slicing from the cut end toward the root, make several cuts parallel to the counter, stopping just before the root end.  

Step-by-Step-Onion_04

5. Make thin vertical slices from the root end down. The wider the slice, the larger the chop will be.

Step-by-Step-Onion_05

6. Make thin slices parallel to the cut stem end, working toward the root; the chopped onion will fall away with each cut.

Step-by-Step-Onion_06

And just in case that didn’t help you out, the nice people at Everyday with Rachel Ray even have a video for you!

   How to Cut an Onion

I’m ready…..BRING ON THE TEARS!

No comments: