February 26, 2010

a tan frozen hell.

Have you ever gotten one of these?

image

PURE HELL

Here’s my story. About a year ago I got a spray tan, but of the “air brush” kind. You go in, get semi-naked in front of a person and they spray the tan on you. They’re the professional; they know what they’re doing, which means its mistake proof for me!  It was a great experience, I was tan and NO streak/splotchy spots.

{FAST FORWARD TO WEDNESDAY}

I called the only 2 places in town that I know do the air brush tan. One had a missing piece on their machine and the other didn’t have any of the actual spray solution. FABULOUS. I had to get the tan that night so it would look good for tonight. The girl at one of the stores offered me the mystic tan. Those 2 words scared me to death, but I was desperate. So I made an appointment.image

Look how peaceful she looks…..that’s not at all how it is !

The Experience

I walked in to the room that holds the mystic tanning booth with the store girl. It was FREEZING in the room. {don’t they know people have to get naked in there?} She explained the process to me and left me on my own. 

I applied the “blending cream” to the tops of my hands, feet, and all my nails/cuticles. I put on the lovely “shower cap”  and stepped inside the booth. I placed my cartridge into the holder and waved my hand at the little green motion sensor.

SHE began to talk to me. Place your left foot on 1 and your right foot on 3. Then…..hell began. The spray started at my feet and worked its way up. I was already cold, but the spray was FREEZING! Goosebumps ran up my body as the lady spoke again place your left foot on 2 and your right foot on 4. I turned and as the lady counted down 3…2…1… I braced myself for the frozen misery.

The first turn wasn’t bad because the machine had sprayed the back side of my body, but the 2nd turn was a different story. Obviously I had to open my eyes just a tad to see where to place my feet. As I did that the tanning solution slipped into my eye creating an awful burning sensation. Then, the solution slide even further down my face into my mouth…despite my lips being closed.

As SHE counted 3…2…1… for the last time I cringed at the thought of being sprayed by the frozen solution. My eyes were burning, my mouth was filled with this horrible taste, but I told myself only 20 more seconds.

I fumbled for the door handle and stepped out grabbing the towel that I had to wipe down with. It probably took me 15 minutes to make sure I had wiped away every drip mark on my body. I took off my hair net and hesitantly put my clothes back on for fear of the tanning dye getting on my nice work clothes. As I left I asked the store girl how long till I could shower, she un-friendly replied back “4 hours”.

I waited till the next morning at the gym to rinse off my solution. It was when I stepped out that I realized the splotchiness on my hands {even with the lotion} and the drip  marks on my ankles and bottom of my feet {oops forgot to rub down a spot}.  

I did see a difference in skin color, but my face still looked “dirty”. It wasn’t until my 2nd shower that I finally felt a “normal” color.

So here I am 2 days out and a little tanner than I was Wednesday morning. But NEVER again will I do a mystic tan. Air Brush all the way for me!

The things we do to look beautiful……

-e

1 comment:

mk said...

LOL! I did the spray BEFORE Mystic came out like a million years ago. I had to do all these weird poses and I looked awful afterwards... like spray freckles or something.